Allrighters' website

Go to or visit the Allrighters' website. To follow this Diary please enter your e mail address in the box below.

02 May 2014

Progress Update

Hi Everyone

Just because there has not been a great deal of activity on this blog does not mean the worms are not busy underground.

Two meetings of the local writers group have provided much fun, laughter and inspiration. Also a reminder in writing two contributions for the group that creative writing is what I enjoy most.

see www.leamingtonspawriters.org.uk

The site includes some posts by Russell Blake about writing and selling books. All hard work he says. Yes I think he is right.

The first fifteen 18,000 word books ( All Gemini ) have been set up for self editing and completion. Much of the content has not been looked at for over a year so I find myself amazed about what I have written. One of the big lessons learnt is not to leave gaps for filling in later as they still represent a wall to be climbed and I have put them off yet again. 

The aim of getting all my draft words self edited and complete by this time next year and then up on Kindle in Summer 2015 still seems to be the best plan.

I am more settled in my overall aim to "Write and Read for pleasure".

Some good reading this month and a post on Mary Tod's web site in Canada

http://awriterofhistory.com/2014/04/29/reader-interview-series-douglas-from-warwickshire/

Her other recent posts in the series from other readers are a good read as well.

I have just finished Kate Atkinson's book Life after Life. I found the first 100 pages a little slow but she kept me reading by her first page about the main character Ursula in Germany. The book matured as I progressed. The most positive aspect was a book structured as a series of short stories in various time frames jumbled up and cross linked. There are similarities between my structure and Kate's structure  so this has reassured me my unusual structuring is not completely out of order especially as Kate's book has sold well. Clearly an established author can get away with an unusual structure.

I like the strap line

"What if you had the chance to live your life again and again, until you finally got it right?"

I have another draft post for Authors on Line on covers and this time the text.

That's about all my news for now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment