Allrighters' website

Go to or visit the Allrighters' website. To follow this Diary please enter your e mail address in the box below.

12 June 2014

I have been writing for four years

The last month has been quite busy.

The strategy to concentrate on self editing what I have already written is proving a good one although less time is being spent on web posts etc.

Despite this I made a couple of posts on TIPM - about a visit to CPI printing plant In Chippenham and the first of a regular series of posts in my new writing mode of Writing and Reading for Pleasure.

- http://www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com/2014/05/self-publishing-experience-days-visit.html

- http://www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com/2014/06/writing-and-reading-for-pleasure-part-1.html

This week I have been working on CEE my main character Henry's shipwreck book. I last touched this 50k of draft writing over two years ago. I am amazed at what I have written.

On a visit to the Cats Rescue Charity shop I found a thick book about writing - More of How to write a Mi££ion. The book is made up of three books. The first is the best written by Monica Wood as it contains a very reasoned and balanced chapter on the use of 'show and tell'. The downside is the rest of the book sets out some very hard advice on what makes a well written book. So my glee at finding a more balanced view about 'show and tell' has descended into some depression as I realise just how much more I will need to rewrite and restructure in my draft writing. I was also quite amused by the book title given my own writing target. Other parts by Kit Reed and Jack Bickham yet to be started.
I also rose to a challenge to write a 1000 words of a sit com for my local writing group meeting last week. I took the story teller role while three other group members read the three character parts. The whole evening with similar contributions from others proved a very enjoyable night.

Russell Blake's web site also provides some hard hitting advice on writing. Even suffering thriller fatigue I have started reading some of his books wearing my editor's hat. 

On the reading front I find my drift back to reading more non-fiction is gaining speed. My next publishing effort in hard copy is likely to be non-fiction. I have noticed the fiction books I like are almost real life biographies or books which read like non-fiction with much less showing than telling

I write and read on ... 

Have a good summer ... at last some warmth seems to have arrived.

Douglas








No comments:

Post a Comment